Thanks you for your interest;
Due to the large number of recent applications, this team has temporarily suspended recruitment. Other teams are currently available. Coordinators will review the situation in the new year and update this webpage accordingly. Applicants who have already applied to join the team will be contacted in due course.
The FMS Stage Medical Team has volunteers at events where stages require medical assistance. In order to work at large prestigious events, members are required to provide support at smaller events throughout the season.
The team’s main role includes;
- Working from a medical tent at the side of the stage, to treat patients from the crowd
- Providing a range of initial medical treatment or life saving measures as required
- Observing the crowd from the stage pit area to identify casualties and to assist security with safely transferring those to the medical tent
- Liaising with personnel in medical communications to maintain patient flow and transport casualties to the main medical centre, if appropriate
- Responding to dynamic situations, including high risk performances, multiple casualties, high acuity patients, unplanned acts or even critical incidents
FMS Stage Medical Team volunteers could be deployed in a variety of roles during events, which include;
- Patrolling the event site, responding to calls for assistance via the FMS communications team and members of the public (this is the team’s primary role at events)
- Volunteering to work alongside members of the FMS First Responder Team
- Assisting at the primary medical area, minor injury units or site walk in centre’s
- Volunteering with the FMS Ambulance Team
The Stage Medical Team require members who primarily work in acute settings, such as Emergency Departments, Intensive Care Units, Pre-Hospital Emergency Services or similar. As such, from 2019, any new Stage Medical volunteers will be required to hold a health care professional qualification (Nurse, Paramedic or Doctor). Emergency Medical Technicians, Emergency Ambulance Crew or Emergency Care Assistants will also be considered due to the nature of their usual role. Volunteering with the stage team requires team working and being able to adapt to rapidly changing situations.
Applications will be considered from clinicians with appropriate or relevant training or experience and applicants who hold appropriate qualifications to the role; subject to approval by the Stage Medical Team Co-ordinators/ Manager.
The minimum age to volunteer with the team is 21yrs. Applicants will be expected to complete an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) application, which is provided free by FMS.
Applicants can apply via the FMS website, and once approved, the FMS recruitment team will guide applicants through the process. Following successful completion of the membership process, volunteers are able to log into the FMS website ‘members area’ and add their availability to volunteer at events. Members are required to provide qualifications and training evidence annually.
Staff are ideally required to have experience in acute settings and be able to think and act appropriately and fast in evolving situations. Please apply to the Stage Medical Team in the new year if you match our requirements. However, if you feel this team is not for you, there are several other teams within FMS, more information can be found here.
*Doctors with experience, primarily in ED or ITU (Reg and above) please apply to the Doctors team using the link above.